Agricultural Economics Department

 

Date of this Version

February 2005

Comments

Published in Cornhusker Economics, 02/09/2005. Produced by the Cooperative Extension, Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources, Department of Agricultural Economics, University of Nebraska–Lincoln.
http://www.agecon.unl.edu/Cornhuskereconomics.html

Abstract

Andrew Errington, a professor at the University of Plymouth, United Kingdom, surveyed farmers in England in 1997. He found that 66.3 percent of those farmers surveyed plan to never or only partially retire from farming, leaving only 33.7 percent who planned to someday fully retire. John Baker, Director of the Beginning Farmer Center at Iowa State University, replicated this survey in Iowa in 2000. The same survey was also taken in Virginia in 2001. Iowa results indicated 65 percent of those responding planned to never or only partially retire from their farming business. Results from Virginia indicate 76 percent of Virginian farmers plan to never or only partially retire.