Date of this Version
Electronic Journal of Academic and Special Librarianship (Spring 2008) 9(1). Also available at http://southernlibrarianship.icaap.org/content/v09n01/hussain_a01.html.
The concept of the digital library is new in Pakistan. Although LIS professionals in Pakistan are users of digital libraries, setting up local digital libraries is very rare here. This study analyzed the perceptions of Library and Information Science (LIS) professionals in Pakistan concerning digital libraries. Six research questions were asked:
- What is the concept of the digital library?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of digital libraries?
- What is the situation of digital libraries in Pakistan?
- What are the problems in setting up digital libraries in Pakistan?
- What are the needs and requirements for setting up digital libraries in Pakistan?
- What are the suggestions to promote digital libraries in Pakistan?
The problems which are hindering the promotion of digital libraries in Pakistan include lack of IT literacy, lack of funding, power failure, copyright issue, etc. The respondents suggested that trained manpower and proper equipment and infrastructure, along with training, orientation, support and awareness were essential requirements for setting up digital libraries locally.