Date of this Version
There is a long history of involvement between Kansas State University (formerly Kansas State Agricultural College) and township governmental units regarding control of prairie dogs. In 1901 and 1903, the Kansas legislature passed laws authorizing townships to conduct prairie dog control programs and providing funds for the College to conduct experiments on methods of controlling prairie dogs and gophers. The acts also directed the College to procure and furnish to the townships the proper prepared materials for prairie dog control. The Experiment Station began supplying strychnine baits in January of 1902 and continued this practice until 1970.