Date of this Version
Provided by the Heartland Center for Leadership Development.
Presented at the Keeping It Rural Conference, October 8, 2019.
Myths about the future of small towns:
- Towns that are "too small" have no future
- A community's location is key to its survival
- Industrial recruitment is the best strategy for economic development
- Small towns can't compete in the global economy
- The "best people" leave small towns as soon as they can
- The rural and urban economies are not independent
Adult and Continuing Education Commons, Civic and Community Engagement Commons, Communication Commons, Community-Based Learning Commons, Community-Based Research Commons, Leadership Studies Commons, Other Education Commons, Place and Environment Commons, Public Affairs, Public Policy and Public Administration Commons, Rural Sociology Commons, Work, Economy and Organizations Commons