Heartland Center for Leadership Development
Date of this Version
Provided by the Heartland Center for Leadership Development.
Presented at the Keeping It Rural Conference, October 8, 2019.
Myths about the future of small towns:
- Towns that are "too small" have no future
- A community's location is key to its survival
- Industrial recruitment is the best strategy for economic development
- Small towns can't compete in the global economy
- The "best people" leave small towns as soon as they can
- The rural and urban economies are not independent
Adult and Continuing Education Commons, Civic and Community Engagement Commons, Communication Commons, Community-Based Learning Commons, Community-Based Research Commons, Leadership Studies Commons, Other Education Commons, Place and Environment Commons, Public Affairs, Public Policy and Public Administration Commons, Rural Sociology Commons, Work, Economy and Organizations Commons
Copyright 2019, the author. Used by permission.