Libraries at University of Nebraska-Lincoln

 

Date of this Version

Winter 5-30-2017

Citation

Ugwu, C.I. and Ugwu, M.E. (2017). Demographic Variables and Job Performance of Librarians in South East Nigeria. Library Philosophy and Practice(e-journal),ISSN: 1522-0222

Abstract

This study aims at determining the relationship between demographic variables and the job performance of librarians in university libraries in South East Nigeria. The study was based on correlational research design. A total of 100 Librarians working as supervisors in the university libraries participated in the study. The instrument for data collection was questionnaire. Mean, Standard Deviation (SD) and Spearman’s ranked order coefficient were used to analyze the data collected while ANOVA and multiple regressions were used to test the hypotheses at 0.05 probability levels. The findings revealed high job performance of librarians with respect to their task and extra roles. The results of the study also showed that only age, education, job position and work experience were found to be significant predictors of librarians’ task-based and contextual performance with education as the most significant predictor. These four variables were found to contribute as much as 56% of the variations in the overall job performance of librarians, while the remaining 44% could be explained by other factors. This paper, therefore, recommends that deployment of staff for their task and extra roles leading to increased job performance should be based on educational qualifications, age, work experience and job ranks.

Share

COinS
 
 

To view the content in your browser, please download Adobe Reader or, alternately,
you may Download the file to your hard drive.

NOTE: The latest versions of Adobe Reader do not support viewing PDF files within Firefox on Mac OS and if you are using a modern (Intel) Mac, there is no official plugin for viewing PDF files within the browser window.