Date of this Version
- Hegde, A., Venkataramana, G., Kulkarni, S., Bhaskar, N., Jacob, J., Gangadharappa, S., 2017. Attitudes, experiences, and barriers to research and publishing among dental postgraduate students of Bengaluru City: a cross-sectional study. J Indian Assoc Public Health Dent 15, 157-161.
- Raj, R., 2005. Global dictionary of education. New Delhi: Global Vision Publishing House
- Latif, R., 2015. Medical and biomedical research productivity from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (2008-2012). J Family Community Med 22, 25-30.
- Tadmouri, GO., Tadmouri, NB., 2002. Biomedical research in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (1982-2000). Saudi Med J 23, 20-24.
- Durieux, V., Gevenois, PA., 2010. Bibliometric indicators: quality measurements of scientific publication. Radiology 255, 342-351.
- Rhen, C., Kronman, U., 2006 Bibliometric handbook for Karolinska institutet. Stockholm, Sweden: Karolinska Institutet.
- Falagas, ME., Pitsouni, EI., Malietzis, GA., Pappas, G., 2008. Comparison of PubMed, Scopus, web of science, and google scholar: strengths and weaknesses. FASEB J 22, 338-342.
- Meho, LI., Yang, K., 2007. Impact of data sources on citation counts and rankings of LIS faculty: Web of science versus Scopus and google scholar. J Am Soc Inf Sci Technol 58, 2105-2125.
- Swain, D., Panda, K., 2012. Journal of intellectual property rights, 2002-2010: a bibliometric study. Chinese Librarianship: An International Electronic Journal 33.
- Jamjoom, A., 2017. Medical specialty research in Saudi Arabia: a bibliometric assessment of productivity and worldwide ranking. Journal of Health Specialties 5, 23-29.
- Rattan, G., 2014. Pakistan journal of library and information science: a citation analysis. Asian Journal of Multidisciplinary Studies 2.
- International Science Rankings., 2018. Scimago journal and country rank. http://www.scimagojr.com/countryrank.php. Last accessed 2018 Dec 21.
- Haq, I., 2017. Research productivity at King Saud bin Abdul Aziz University for health sciences, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia: a bibliometric appraisal. Journal of Rawalpindi Medical College 21, 182-186.
- Ahmed, R., 2016. Biomedical research productivity in dentistry and oral medicine from Libya: a bibliometric analysis. Ibnosina Journal of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences 8, 69-72.
- Sadeghi, M., Shahravan, A., Haghdoost, AA., Asgary, S., Rad, M., 2012. Trend in dental research output in Iran over a period of 20 years (1990-2009). Int Dent J 62, 84-89.
Purpose: Citation analysis is frequently employed to assess the research output of individuals, departments, and institutions. Intra-country institutional analysis of bibliometric analysis is needed to formulate appropriate research policies. To assess the research output of dental colleges in Saudi Arabia
Research design: An observational study was conducted for publications from Dental Colleges in Saudi Arabia using the SCOPUS database. The data for the years 2016-18 were retrieved for 18 dental colleges of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA).
Key findings: The highest publication productivity was reported for King Abdulaziz University- Faculty of Dentistry (Jeddah). The highest number of publications in the years 2016-18 was from Jazan University- Faculty of Dentistry. The highest h index for 2016-18 was 8 for Imam Abdulrahman Bin Faisal University- College of Dentistry. The journal in which the most articles were published was the Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice.
Conclusions/Implications: Jazan University- Faculty of Dentistry, King Abdulaziz University- Faculty of Dentistry (Jeddah) and Imam Abdulrahman Bin Faisal University- College of Dentistry are the leading dental institutions in the KSA regarding the number of papers published, the number of citations and the h index. The increased focus on research in institutions in Saudi Arabia is evidenced by the steady rise in their number of publications.