Nebraska Innovation Campus: Greenhouse Innovation Center
Date of this Version
The NIC Greenhouse Innovation Center is 45,000 square feet of greenhouse and head house space with a LemnaTec High-Throughput Plant Phenotyping system. http://innovate.unl.edu/greenhouse-innovation-center
Searchable Transcript [0:00] (low guitar music)
- [0:06] We're in the Greenhouse Innovation Center.
- [0:08] These are state of the art greenhouses
- [0:09] employing LED greenhouse lights.
- [0:13] And the light spectrum is actually tuned in
- [0:16] to what the plant actually needs.
- [0:18] The Greenhouse Innovation Center
- [0:20] was built around a unique piece of equipment.
- [0:22] This system was envisioned by a group of faculty.
- [0:26] This system has plants on conveyors
- [0:29] moved around the greenhouse to nutrient and water stations.
- [0:33] And then, at specific times they move out of the greenhouse,
- [0:38] into the attached head house
- [0:39] and through high-resolution camera bays.
- [0:42] Where we can take measurements
- [0:43] that are barely noticeable with naked eye.
- [0:47] There's only a few facilities like this in the world,
- [0:49] and UNL is one of the first universities
- [0:51] in the United States to have a facility like this.
- [0:53] For someone like me, and researchers who are
- [0:56] interested in how plants respond to their environment,
- [0:59] or how their development gets affected,
- [1:02] a system like this really accelerates our research,
- [1:05] so we can do a lot more very, very quickly,
- [1:08] and more precisely than we could without such a system.
[1:11] (electric guitar music)