Biotechnology Practice Applications
Date of this Version
Plant and Soil Sciences eLibrary (PASSeL) Lesson
Examines functional foods, allergens, genetic engineering, and food safety.
Objectives - Biotechnology Practice Applications
Upon completion of this lesson, nutrition professionals should be able to:
- Define functional foods and give examples of them.
- Recognize the potential for allergen removal from food.
- List three different types of genetically engineered products that could impact nutrition practice.
- Explain how biotechnology can be applied to food safety concerns.
- Identify how biotech vaccines could be beneficial.
- Identify current ethical concerns regarding biotechnology.
- Explain how allergen introduction could occur when biotechnology is used to transfer traits between plants/foods.
- Lesson home
- Objectives - Biotechnology Practice Applications
- Introduction - Biotechnology Practice Applications
- Functional Foods
- Possible Positive Impacts
- Possible Positive Impacts - Review Question
- Possible Negative Impacts
- Possible Negative Impacts - Review Question
- Sources - Biotechnology Practice Applications