Date of this Version
Plant and Soil Sciences eLibrary (PASSeL) Lesson
Overview and Objectives - Gene Cloning
This lesson covers the utilization of gene cloning to isolate and copy a specific gene of interest. The transformation of bacteria with plasmids containing antibiotic resistance genes to make gene libraries and the selection of bacteria colonies that contain the specific gene of interest are described.
At the completion of this lesson, you should be able to:
- Define gene cloning and describe its role in genetic engineering.
- Illustrate the basic steps in gene cloning.
- Explain why gene libraries need to be made in order to clone a gene of interest.
- Explain why antibiotic resistance genes are sometimes present in transgenic plants.
- Identify the final product of gene cloning.