Date of this Version
April 13, 2010 in The China Beat http://www.thechinabeat.org/
With the Shanghai World Expo opening in just a few short weeks, it’s now showing up in news stories on a daily basis. A few links to check out:
1. The team at Shanghaiist got to take a tour of the still-under-construction Expo grounds last week, and have posted quite a number of pictures from their visit; check out their galleries of Zone A, Zone B, and Zone C. Over at Shanghai Scrap, Adam Minter documents his look inside the U.S. Expo pavilion (and his underwhelmed reaction) in a story here.
2. Also at Shanghaiist, Elaine Chow has conducted a survey of the Expo ticket hotline numbers and found which ones are most accommodating to English speakers. None of them, however, compared to the ease of buying tickets in person, as she documented in a follow-up post.
3. “Haibao chic” was the theme at the opening ceremony of the Shanghai International Fashion Culture Festival, which showed off officially licensed Expo clothing and accessories (h/t Urbanatomy).
4. Evan Osnos of the New Yorker pointed out several similarities between Chicago and China in a “Letter from China” column last month, but didn’t mention one that is the focus of this CCTV news story: Chicago has hosted not one, but two, World’s Fairs (in 1893 and 1933-34), and Chicago and Shanghai now have a sister city relationship.
5. For everything you’ve ever wanted to know about Expos, head over to this online museum.