Date of this Version
August 25, 2008 in The China Beat http://www.thechinabeat.org/
The Olympics have ended, but the news continues. Here are a few of our favorite end-of-the-Olylmpics stories:
1. Danwei notes that last Friday, Google news searches for “China” (done via the Chinese language version of the search engine) returned no results.
2. In case you missed any Olympic highlights, check out Shanghaiist’s nod to the ultra-brief Mime Olympics. They also ran a “report card” on the Beijing Olympics,loaded with links for recommended reading.
3. August 18-22, the comic strip Candorville skewered the holier than thou aspects of some human rights protests against China. Though while doing this, some panels do still effectively work in sharp criticisms of Beijing’s policies.
4. A “Letter from Beijing” by Anthony Lane in The New Yorker on the first week at the Olympics.
5. At the Christian Science Monitor, former Beijing bureau chief Robert Marquand tells the story of Chiu Teng Hiok, China’s “first Olympic hero,” who played basketball for England at the 1924 Olympics and has, according to Marquand, been largely forgotten in Chinese sports history.