Date of this Version
Published in THESE FIFTY YEARS: A HISTORY OF THE COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA (Lincoln, 1925).
A HISTORY of the Agricultural College of Nebraska is also a history of the University of Nebraska. From the earliest years to the present day the two have been inseparably connected. The Agricultural College was established as one of the colleges of the University, later, in 1877, being incorporated in the Industrial College, and still later, in 1909, again becoming a separate college of the University, the College of Agriculture.
The University and Agricultural College received their endowment from two sources. The Enabling Act of 1864, providing for the state's admission into the Union, declared that seventy-two sections) (46,080 acres) should be "set apart and reserved for the use and support of a state university, and to be appropriated and applied as the Legislature may prescribe." The Land Grant Act of 1862, referred to in our preceding chapter, allotted 30,000 acres of land to each state for each representative and senator in Congress, for the purpose of "endowment, support, and maintenance of at least one college, where the leading object shall be, without excluding other scientific and classical studies and including military tactics, to teach such branches of learning as are related to agriculture and the mechanic arts."
An act of 1866 provided "that when any Territory shall become a State and be admitted into the Union such new State shall be entitled to the benefits of the said act of July 2, 1862, by expressing the acceptance therein required within three years from the date of its admission into the Union, and providing the college or colleges within five years after such acceptance." Under the Land Grant Act of 1862 Nebraska was entitled to 90,000 acres, making a total of 136,080 acres available for the support of a university and agricultural college. Nebraska was admitted as a state on March 1, 1867.