American Judges Association
Date of this Version
Court Review, Volume 50, Issue 2 (2014)
Judges will find a wealth of resources at the website of the MacArthur Foundation Research Network on Law and Neuroscience. In 2007, the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation initially funded an interdisciplinary research effort to integrate law and neuroscience. Since 2010, Vanderbilt University law professor Owen Jones has been the Network’s director.
In its initial phases, between 2007 and 2011, the Network “pursued several over-arching research questions at the intersection of neuroscience and law that were intended to:
• Improve legal decisions about the responsibility of transgressors for their actions;
• Further identify factors that can affect blameworthiness assessments;
• Illuminate the processes by which jurors and judges make decisions about criminal liability and punishment;
• Enable more reliable identification of deceptive testimony;
• Increase law’s abilities to evaluate the reliability of memories on which testimony is based;
Copyright American Judges Association. Used by permission.