Libraries at University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Date of this Version
Thesis (M.A.)—University of Nebraska—Lincoln, 1968. Department of Speech and Dramatic Art.
The purpose of this study was:(1) to direct an original script, Mance Williams’, The Monastery; (2) to arrive at an evaluation of the quality of the direction.The discussion was divided into two main parts: (1) a report of the direction of the play, beginning with my study of the manuscript, following through the process involved in direction, and concluding with my own evaluation of the result; (2) the discussion of the judges’ evaluations of the direction.
The procedures were:
1) To read the play several times
2) To secure a qualified production staff
3) To hold conference with the playwright
4) To write the “director’s approach.”
5) To hold conferences with my set designer
6) To direct the play
7) To evaluate the direction
8) To write up the results
Based on the evaluations submitted by the critics, here are some of the conclusions:
1) That the set was satisfactory
2) That the stage pictures were interesting
3) That some movements appeared contrived, thus possibly distracting from the success of the production
4) That the direction was generally successful
Copyright 1968, the author. Used by permission.