Date of this Version
Published in Journal of the Kansas Entomological Society, Vol. 32, No. 3 (Jul., 1959), pp. 128-133.
In 1944, Tate and Gates published the first comprehensive work on the mosquitoes of Nebraska. Their publication was based on specimens in the collection at the Entomology Department, University of Nebraska, and on specimens collected in light traps during the summers of 1942 and 1943. Since that time our knowledge of Nebraska mosquitoes has increased materially. During World War II the United States Public Health Service through its Division of Malaria Control in War Areas conducted many surveys around army posts, air fields, and prisoner of war camps. In addition the U.S. Army maintained the Seventh Service Command Medical Laboratory at Fort Omaha, and this organization conducted mosquito surveys on military bases in Nebraska. Olson and Keegan (1944 a, b) summarized the results of the Army's mosquito surveillance program in Nebraska. Following the war, the United States Public Health Service conducted surveys in many areas of Nebraska, where water resource development projects were proposed, and, during 1952 and 1953, maintained a field station at Mitchell to study mosquito production in irrigated areas. Since 1952, the Nebraska State Department of Health has conducted mosquito surveys throughout the state. This paper represents a summary of present knowledge of the Nebraska mosquito fauna.