Date of this Version
Science, Vol. 16, No. 405 (Nov. 7, 1890), p. 263
The one alluded to was found in 1884, while breaking ground for the Eagle Block, on the north-east corner of Main Street and Fourth Avenue. This animal, a large adult male, is represented by a tusk (eight feet long and nine inches in diameter), several grinders, lower jaw, and part of zygomatic arch, preserved in the museum of Iowa College. These bones occurred about five feet below the surface, and were in an exceedingly soft and perishable condition, as similarly situated remains usually are; but, owing to the skill of Professor H. W. Parker, the tusk and teeth especially were so well fixed with hardening-mixtures, that they were removed in an exceptionally fine condition.
Remains of another Elephas primigenius have just come to light, found Oct. 6, 1890, within half a mile of the site of the one of 1884. There is additional interest attached to this one, because of the depth at which it occurred.