Date of this Version
White paper, issued November 2017.
The University of Nebraska Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources (IANR/Institute), established at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL), was created by the Nebraska Legislature in 1973 through passage of Legislative Bill (LB) 149. The Institute was then activated April 1, 1974, to replace what had been known as the College of Agriculture since 1909. IANR was created following more than a decade of discussions, proposals, and controversies over the lack of prominence and limited voice of the College of Agriculture in the decision-making processes of the University of Nebraska. Individuals and organizations in Nebraska agriculture were concerned that the relative standing and budgetary support of agricultural programs within the University system were not consistent with the importance of agriculture to the economy of Nebraska. There was consensus by state agricultural interests that agriculture programs needed more visibility and a stronger voice within the University system.
IANR operates as a statewide network. A significant portion of IANR’s faculty and staff are located off-campus (outside Lincoln) at the four District Centers, research sites and at county-based Extension Educational Programming Unit offices. The Agricultural Research and Development Center near Ithaca, Nebraska, serves as the field site for most of the campus-based research and outreach programs although this structure is currently under review. With the land-grant mission and the statewide network, IANR is active within the University in outreach and on-line education.