Date of this Version
- Brown, Anita. (2004). Reference services for children: Information needs and wants in the public library. Australian Library Journal 53(3). Retrieved from http://alia.org.au/publishing/alj/53.3/full.text/brown.html.
- CENSUS of India 2011: population totals for West Bengal 2011. Office of the Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt. of India. Table A-2.
- Clabo, Carrie A. (2002). A Study of the Library Use Practices of High School Students in Three East Tennessee Counties. Electronic Theses and Dissertations. Paper 635. Retrieved from http://dc.etsu.edu/etd/635
- Dash, Arthur Jules. (1947). Bengal District Gazetter: Darjeeling. Calcutta: The Bengal Secretariat Book Depot.
- Dewan, Dick B. (1991). Education in the Darjeeling Hills: an historical survey, 1835 – 1985.New Delhi: Indus Publishing House.
- Dozey, E. C. (1989). A concise history of the Darjeeling District since 1835. Calcutta: Jetsum Publishing House.
- Dwyer, James G. (1987). Combined attitudes: Cooperative services: Positive outcomes. In L. J. Amey (Ed.), Combining libraries: The Canadian and Australian experience (pp. 94–111). Metuchen, N.J.: Scarecrow Press.
- Fitzgibbons, Shirley A. (2000). School and Public Library Relationships: Essential Ingredients in Implementing Educational Reforms and Improving Student Learning. School Library Research, an official journal of the American Association of School Librarians. Retrieved from http://www.ala.org/aasl/sites/ala.org.aasl/files/content/aaslpubsandjournals/slr/vol3/SLMR_SchoolPublicLibRelationships_V3.pdf
- Government of West Bengal. (2007-2008 & 2008-2009). Annual Report of the Mass Education Extension & Library Services. Kolkata: Department of Mass Education Extension & Library Services Department.
- Heyns, Barbara. (1978). Summer learning and the effects of schooling. New York: Academic Press.
- Iwhiwhu, B.M., and Okorodudu, P.O., (2012). Public Library Information Resources, Facilities, and Services: User Satisfaction with the Edo State Central Library, Benin-City, Nigeria. Journal of Library Philosophy and Practice. Retrieved from http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1821&context=libphilprac
- Karkee, Prabin. (2006). Public libraries of Kalimpong sub-division: a survey of present positions and solutions. Unpublished MLISc. Dissertation, Jadavpur University, Kolkata.
- Karkee, Prabin. (2014). Libraries for All: Genesis and growth of public libraries in the Darjeeling Hill. In Deshmukh and Ghante, (Eds.), Contemporary Issues in Library and Information Science. Dhule, Maharastra: Atharva Publ.
- O’Malley, L. S. S. (1907). Bengal District Gazetter: Darjeeling. Calcutta: The Bengal Secretariat Book Depot.
- Salma, Joel H. and Idris Mohammed Yelwa. (2004). A survey of student’s attitudes towards public library services. A case study of central library in Borno State of Nigeria. International Library Movement. 26(2), 61-70.
- Woolard, Wilma L. (1980). Combined school/public libraries: A survey with conclusions and recommendations. Metuchen, N.J.: Scarecrow Press.
This paper is an attempt to understand and evaluate the use of Sub-Divisional Library by the students of various Government, Government Sponsored and Private Schools of Kalimpong, West Bengal with respect to their demographical detail, purpose and frequency of using library, meeting required information by the libraries, difficulty in getting information, library collections and staffs, and their overall satisfaction to the services provided by the library. Hence a survey of 81 students of various schools across the tiny hilly station Kalimpong was conducted through structured questionnaire and out of which 73 questionnaires were duly obtained with a response rate of 90.12%. The results call for building functional and sound sub-divisional library to attract more students for its optimal utility and in meeting the information needs of students which ultimately augment the image of public librarianship in the expanse. The findings are valuable insights for anyone seeking to know more about the library usage and perceptions of school students towards the public library services.