Date of this Version
- Connell, R. S. (2009), ‘Academic Libraries, Facebook and MySpace, and Student Outreach: A Survey of students opinion’ Libraries & the Academy Vol. 9 No 1
- Deyrup, M. (2010) ‘Web 2.0 and the Academic Library. Technical Services’, Quarterly Vol 27 No. 2
- Hinchliffe, L. J., & Lean, R. (2011) ‘Innovation as a framework for adopting Web 2.0 marketing approaches’, Marketing libraries in a Web 2.0 world.
- Horn, L. (2011) ‘Online Marketing Strategies for Reaching Today’s Teens’, Young Adult Library Services, Vol 9 No. 2
- Mollel, M. M (2013), ‘Marketing mix for librarians and information professionals’, Infopreneurship Journal Vol 1 No.1
- Sachs, D. E. Eckel, E. J. & Langan, K. A. (2011) ‘striking a balance: Effective use of facebook in an academic library’, Internet Reference Services, Quarterly, Vol 6 No 1
- Salim Said Alkindi & Mohammed Nasser Al-Suqri (2013), ‘Social Networking Sites as Marketing and Outreach Tools of Library and Information Services’, Global Journal of Human Social Science Arts, Humanities & Psychology, Vol 13 No 2
- Yi, Z. (2014), ‘Australian academic librarians’ perceptions of effective web 2.0 tools used to market services and resources’ The Journal of Academic Librarianship.
Background: Social media tools play a vital role in every domain especially with Library and information Science. This study analyses the various promotional activities done by using the social media tools in Engineering Colleges with respect to Tamilnadu.
Materials and Methods: The data was obtained by quantitative survey method for the study from the 150 library science professionals working in engineering colleges of Tamilnadu.
Results: 150 respondents were actively participated in this survey and resulted that Facebook is the predominant tool used by the library professionals to share the library products and services in the age group of 31-50. Male respondents are using the social media enormously.
Conclusion: Tamilnadu has an ample number of engineering institutions especially in the accessing the information products and services, this study analyses the impact of social media in libraries and its extent to promote the activities of library and information centers.
Keywords: Social Media Tools, Library and Information centers, Engineering Colleges, Tamilnadu