Date of this Version
- Akparobore, D. (2011). The role of public libraries in promoting adult education in Nigeria. Retrieved at
- Antony Arokiavathy, S and Baladhandayutham, A. (2017). Users’ Perceptions of the Role of Public Libraries in Kanniyakumari District, Tamil Nadu, India. International Journal of Scientific Research and Modern Education, 2 (1), 178-182.
- Benge, Ronald, C. (1970). Libraries and Cultural Change, New Delhi, Archon Books.
- Bhatti, R., Marwat, A., and Khan, S. A. (2015). User’s Perception of Services Quality of The Central Public Library Bahawalpur. Library Philosophy & Practice. (e-Journal).
- Change, P. & Hsieh, P. (1996). Customer involvement with services in public libraries. Library Review, 48(8).
- Drake, Miriam. (2003). Encyclopedia of Library and Information Science, Second Edition -, Volume 1, CRC Press.
- Gabriel Aine Obinyan; Oluwatoyin Oyeyemi Obinyan and Esther Aidenojie (2011). Use of Information Resources in Four Branches of a State Public Library in Nigeria. Chinese Librarianship: an International Electronic Journal, 31, 16.
- Haggstrom, B.M. (2004). The role of libraries in lifelong learning. Final report of the IFLA project under the section for Public Libraries. Retrieved:
- Joy, II and Idowu, AI. (2014). Utilization and User Satisfaction of Public Library Services in South-West, Nigeria in the 21st Century: A Survey. International Journal of Library Science, 3(1), 1-6. DOI: 10.5923/j.library.20140301.01
- Khan, Shakeel Ahmad. (2015). User’s Perception of Services Quality of The Central Public Library Bahawalpur. Library Philosophy and Practice (e-journal). 1276. Accessed at: http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/libphilprac/1276
- Nsieh, P.N.P.N. (1997). Customer’s involvement with services in public libraries. Asian Libraries, 6(3/4), 242-249.
- Nwokocha, U. (1993). Resources Utilization by Adults in Nigeria- The case study of two Public Libraries. International Information and Library Review, 25 (1)88.
- Prytherch, Raymond John. (2000). Harrod's Librarians' Glossary and Reference Book, Gower.
- Ranganathan, S.R. (1996). The Five Laws of Library Science, Volume 12 of Ranganathan series in library science, Ed. 2, Sarada Ranganathan Endowment for Library Science.
- Rehman, Shafiq Ur; Shafique, Farzana; and Mahmood, Khalid. (2011). A Survey of User Perception and Satisfaction with Reference Services in University Libraries of Punjab. Library Philosophy and Practice (e-journal). 624. http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/libphilprac/624
- Tamilnadu public libraries, accessed at http://tnpubliclibraries.gov.in/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/salam-english.pdf
- Thanuskodi, S. (2012). Assessing the efficacy of library services of district central libraries in Tamilnadu from users perception. DESIDOC Journal of Library and Information Technology, 32(6), 485-492
- UNESCO (2004). The UNESCO Public library Manifesto, available at www.unesco.org/webworld/libraries/manifestos/libraman.html
- Velmurugan, C and Thavamani, K. (2013). Information Use Pattern of Library Resources among Under Graduate Students of Rajalakshmi Institute of Technology, Chennai, Tamil Nadu: A Case Study, Indian Journal of Information Sources and Services, 3 (2), 13-16.
- Velmurugan, C and Umamaheswari, V. (2015). Reading Habits in the Electronic Era and the Use of Internet in School Libraries, Chennai, Tamilnadu, India, Journal of Advances in Computational Sciences and Information Technology, 3(1), 59-65.
- Velmurugan, C. (2018). Understanding and Awareness on Electronic Information Resources (EIR) among Students from the School of Social Sciences, Periyar University - A Survey. Specialty Journal of Knowledge Management, 3 (3), 1-9.
- Wikipedia. (2018). The Public library accessed at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_ library
- Zhong, H. (2007). Research on reader self-services in public library. Library Management, 28(1/2), 101-106.
Public libraries are always called ‘People’s University’ as it provides education to all and to improve Information literacy, empowerment, and cultural heritage. Public libraries facilitate a variety of services to the user community. This study has made an attempt to investigate the current trends of user perception in terms of library services and availability of resources in public libraries in western Tamilnadu particularly in District Central Public Library at Salem. This study tried to focus to evaluate regarding the gender and age wise distribution, Marital status and Educational qualifications, Occupation wise distribution, and Membership status, Residence wise distribution, Availability of library resources, Frequency of Library visit, and Time spent in Library, Purpose of visiting the Library, Information search pattern, Level of satisfaction about Journals / Magazines, and Level of satisfaction regarding Internet services, and Opinion about overall library services etc. For data analysis, a total number of 200 well-designed questionnaires were selected and distributed to the user community who are coming to Salem district public library. Out of 200 samples, we received only 186 dully filled questionnaires were returned. Further, the data has been worked out with relevant statistical tools such as simple percentage and average and so on.