Date of this Version
- Anandabazar Patrika published from Kolkata, West Bengal, India on 27th June, 2015.
- economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/62589586.cms?from=mdr&utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst retrieved on 06.04.2019
- Ahmad, Shabir and Muneebulla, Khan Khaisar. (2016). Role of Library & Information Centres in Women Empowerment through ICT: Indian Scenario. International Research: Journal of Library & Information Science, 6(4), p. 597-608.
- Yoshida, Y. (2013). Public libraries as places for empowering women through autonomous learning activities. Information Research, 18(3) paper C20. [Available at http://InformationR.net/ir/18-3/colis/paperC20.html]
- Abu, Roziya. (2012). Rural Public Library Supporting Rural Women Development andEmpowerment. IPEDR, 56(2), pp. 6-10
- Abu, Roziya, Grace, Marty and Carroll, Mary. (2011). The Role of the Rural Public Library in Community Development and Empowerment. The International Journal of the Book, 8(2), pp. 63-74
- Sasi, P.K. (2014). Role of Public Libraries on Women Empowerment: A Study with Special Reference to District Library Malappuram. IOSR Journal Of Humanities And Social Science, 19(10), pp. 36-42
- Bhat, Rouf Ahmad. (2017). Role of public libraries in the empowerment of women. North Asian International research Journal consortiums, 3(10), p. 1-5.
- Atuase, Diana. (2018). Gender Equality and Women Empowerment in Ghana, the Role of Academic Libraries. Journal of Applied Information Science, 6 (2), p. 14-20
- Cassell, Kay Ann and Weibel, Kathleen. (2007). Public Library Response to Women and Their Changing Roles Revisited. Library Trends, 56(2), p. 303-327
- Ngurtinkhuma, R.K. (2011). Public library in India: impact on socio-culture & educational development of Mizoram. Today & Tomorrow’s, pp. 308
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lalgola_(community_development_block)#Education retrieved on 18.04.2019
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lalgola_(community_development_block)#Language_and_religion retrieved on 13.05.2019
- www.rchiips.org/pdf/rch3/report/wb.pdf retrieved on 05.07.2019
- http://rchiips.org/nfhs/FCTS/WB/WB_FactSheet_333_Murshidabad.pdf retrieved on 13.05.2019
- http://www.wbbme.org/madrasah.aspx retrieved on 18.04.2019
The Bengal Public Libraries Act was passed in the Assembly on 12 th September 1979. At Present, the State has a State Central Library at the apex, District Libraries and other libraries at a lower level. It has a Directorate of Libraries to manage the system. Currently the numbers of public librarians have been decreased substantially. One librarian is in the charge of two or more public libraries. Hence, one rural public library is practically operated for 2- 3 days. The role and responsibility of the public library are to disseminate information apart from lending and receiving books. The present study conducted in Lalgola Community Development Block of Murshidabad district among 100 parents whose daughters received onetime Kanyashree scholarship grant of Rupees twenty five thousand on attaining the age of 18 years. The principal objective of the study is to assess the role of public libraries in empowering women. It has been found that age of the respondent (X 1 ), educational status (X 2 ), involvement towards the society (X 5 ), association with self help group (X 6 ), reason behind the association with self help group (X 7 ), availing bank loan (X 8 ), reason behind taking the bank loan (X 9 ), nature and extent of savings (X 10 ), attention towards daughter’s education (X 11 ) and difficulties towards daughter’s education (X 13 ) have massive implications on the level of perception of parents about the effectiveness of Kanyashree one time grant towards the empowerment of women. It has also been established for financial condition of the family (X 3 ), housing condition (X 4 ), availing bank loan (X 8 ), reason behind taking the bank loan (X 9 ), expenditure towards daughter’s education (X 12 ), difficulties towards daughter’s education(X 13 ) and role of public libraries towards women empowerment (X 25 ) had immense bearing on the level of perception of parents about the empowerment of women. It has been further recognized that the variables like association with rural public library (X 23 ), role of public libraries towards women empowerment (X 25 ), available services of rural library (X 26 ), activities of public libraries (X 27 ) and up-gradation of public library (X 29 ) when had strong significance on the level of perception of parents to evaluate the function of public libraries towards women empowerment.