Date of this Version
- Uloaku, Ikegwuiri Patience (2017) Utilization of Internet Resources/Services by Academic Saff of National Water Resources Institute and Federal College of Forestry Mechanization, Kaduna, Kuduna State. Advances in Sciences and Humanities, Vol.3(5), 2017, pp.54-60
- Sahoo, Dipti Ranjan and Sharma, Dhara (2015) Impact of Internet on Library and Information Services. International Journal of Innovative Science, Engineering & Technology, Vol. 2(4) April 2015.
- Emeka, Ugwulebo Jeremiah and Nyeche, Okoro Sunday (2016), Impact of Internet Usage on the Academic Performance of Undergraduates Students: A Case Study of the University of Abuja, Nigeria. International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, Vol 7(10), October-2016
- Hadagali, Gururaj S and Kumbar, B.D (2011), Use of Internet by Faculty Members and Research Scholars in the 21st Century: A Study of University Libraries of Karnataka State, India. Sri Lankan Journal of Librarianship and Information Management. Vol.4(1-2), Jan-June 2011, pp.1-17.
- Owuwatumbi, OSO Senny and Olubunmi, Adesua Victoria (2017), Availability and Utilization of Internet Facilities among Undergraduate Students of Colleges of Education Nigeria. British Journal of Education, Vol.5 (9), August 2017 pp.100-107.
- Adegbija, Mosiforeba Victoria et.al (2012), Availability and Utilization of Internet Facilities by Postgraduate Students in Federal Universities of Southwest, Nigeria. International Journal of Computer Application, Vol.1(2), Feb 2012.pp.172-178
- Ivwighreghweta, Oghenetega and Igere, Mercy Arodovwe (2014), Impact of the Internet on Academic Performance of Students in Tertiary Institutions in Nigeria. Journals of Information and Knowledge Management. Vol.5 (2), Dec 2014, pp.47-56.
- Singh, Neena (2001), Internet: Importance and Usage for Library and Information Professionals. DESlDOC Bulletin of Information Technology, Vol.21(3), May 2001, pp. 17-28
- Butt, Komal et.al (2011). Access and use of the Internet in the libraries of Lahore, Pakistan. Chinese Librarianship: an International Electronic Journal, 31. URL: http://www.iclc.us/cliej/cl31BQM.pdf
The Internet facility plays a very significant role in terms of supporting the teaching, learning, research and development activities of faculty members, research scholars, students, policymakers etc. The main aim of the study was to examine the levels of availability and utilization of Internet facility among researchers and faculty members of social science research institutes in Karnataka state. A structured questionnaire was distributed among 255 researchers and faculty members of social science research libraries located in Karnataka state; 183(64.21%) responses were received. The present study demonstrates and elaborates on the various aspects of Internet use, such as frequency of Internet use, purpose of Internet access, since how long the internet is used, most preferred search engines, problems faced while using internet and satisfaction levels. The study findings reveal that most of the respondents use internet on a daily basis and mostly prefer Google search engine and also that most of the respondents use internet for doing research work, sending E-mails and sharing ideas or thoughts with others. However, they face some challenges while using the Internet such as slow access speed, privacy problem, difficulty in retrieving relevant information and unawareness important sites in a specific field etc. Finally, the study concludes by suggesting that, social science research libraries provide better and high-speed Internet facility to researchers and faculty members so as to help them carry on their research activities.