Date of this Version
Library Philosophy and Practice 2011
Bahauddin Zakariya University Multan South Punjab, Pakistan
Bahauddin Zakariya University Multan was established in 1975 by an act of the Punjab Legislative Assembly. To pay tribute to the Great Saint Hazrat Bahauddin Zakariya, the name was changed in 1979. The University offers a wide range of programmes: M.A., M.Sc. MBA, M.Com., MCS, M.Phil and Ph.D. It is divided into seven faculties: Faculty of Arts and social Sciences, Faculty of Commerce, Law and Business Administration, Faculty of Engineering, Faculty of Islamia Studies and Languages, Faculty of Pharmacy, Faculty of Veterinary Science (Prospectus, 2009 p.14).
Bahauddin Zakariya University Library, Multan
The library collection support not only every course in the curriculum but also include selected stock of general reference books, periodicals, publications, newspapers etc. Most of the departments have their own departmental libraries situated in their own buildings. The total number of books in the Central and Departmental libraries is 1,66,583. The BZU Library offers online access to latest material through internet and Higher Education Commission Digital Library Pakistan as well. The Internet facilities are provided in the main library, departmental libraries and computer laboratory. The administration of the Library is vested in the Library Committee, which is responsible for efficient management of the Library.
Important research questions:
The present study was conducted to find out the answers of the following questions:
- How social scientist of Bahauddin Zakariya University, Multan consider the Internet useful and effective for exploring information for teaching, research, recreational and other purposes?
- What are their purposes of seeking information on internet?
- What search engines are used by them?
- What places do they prefer for internet usage and time spent per week?
- What problems do they face in seeking information on internet?