Libraries at University of Nebraska-Lincoln


Date of this Version

Summer 6-15-2022


Librarians, like other professionals, face stress from a diversity of sources around the world. A population of 70 Cambridge school library professionals was studied to see if there was a significant relation between work efficiency and occupational stress. This research study is investigated on the relation of school library professionals working in Karachi's Cambridge schools on Stress at work and work efficiency. The main purpose of this research was to identify the level of occupational stress among school librarians, as well as gender and marital status disparities in occupational stress and work efficiency among school librarians, as well as the consequences of occupational stress on efficiency from work.

For this investigation, a survey research strategy was carried out. Census/enumerative techniques was adapted. The sample size of the study was 70, response rate was 60 (87%) and the remaining 10 (13%) did not respond. A questionnaire was used to collect primary data and consisted of close ended queries to measure the information. Cronbach’s Alpha used to check the reliability of the questionnaire. All five hypothesis tested t value and simple linear regression collected data were analyzed by SPSS ver. 22 software.

According to the bases of the findings, working in school libraries generates a lot of occupational overload. There was no significant mean difference in the perception of work stress of male and female library professionals (p>0.05), however there was a significant mean difference in the perception of work efficiency of male and female library professionals (p>0.05). >0.05). On seven work efficiency characteristics, men outperformed women: interpersonal relationships with colleagues, ability to handle multiple jobs, communication skills, punctuality and regularity at work, technical skills, problem solving, and quality of library work. When it came to the relationship between occupational stress and performance and performance at work (r=0.0624, p>0.01), the outcome showed a significant relationship (r=0.0624, p>0.01). In addition, roll ambiguity, overload, conflict and career stagnation were some of the factors that negatively impacted the professional performance of school library professionals.

The results demonstrated a small but statistically significant negative association between occupational stress and work efficiency, implying that a rise in occupational stress has a detrimental impact on the gender and marital status of school library professionals' work efficiency. Four hypothesis are rejected based on t value analysis, but the fifth is supported based on t value and simple linear regression. This study found that the factors that contributing to work stress is significant with school library professional’s performance and it also concluded that the employees at Cambridge schooling system were experiencing occupational stress.