Nebraska Innovation Campus | Food Innovation Center
Date of this Version
The NIC Food Innovation Center is a 178,000 square foot complex that houses the University of Nebraska–Lincoln Food Science and Technology Department, ConAgra Foods, Inc. and other private companies. http://innovate.unl.edu/food-innovation-center
- [0:00] (mellow guitar music)
- [0:04] The Food Processing Center is focused on providing
- [0:08] tools and services, and expertise for the food industry.
- [0:12] And not only do we serve the food industry
- [0:15] here in the state of Nebraska,
- [0:17] but we feel that our programs have a global reach.
- [0:21] Our clients range from startup food companies
- [0:24] who are just getting off the ground,
- [0:26] all the way to the biggest of food companies
- [0:29] who are looking at new technology, or pieces of equipment,
- [0:32] or services that they don't have in-house.
- [0:35] We started working in this facility back in 2006,
- [0:40] for developing this low-sodium salt.
- [0:43] That process we developed here in the Food Innovation Center
- [0:46] helped us to go into the market.
- [0:48] This facility has seven different pilot plants
- [0:51] that set it apart from many of it's competitors
- [0:54] around the country.
- [0:55] So we have over 18,000 square feet
- [0:58] of pilot plant capability, and that includes
- [1:01] a general plant that has kettles,
- [1:04] and baking, and dough sheeting and mixing.
- [1:08] We also have retort and spray dryers.
- [1:11] We have a dedicated extrusion plant that is world class.
- [1:15] We have a high-pressure pasteurizing plant.
- [1:18] A good thing is, with the pilot plant is,
- [1:21] we can work with the small quantities
- [1:24] before we go into bulk capacity for testing that.
- [1:28] We have the Department of Food Science and Technology,
- [1:31] their academic program, that's here on Innovation Campus.
- [1:36] We also have the Food Allergy Research and Resource Program.
- [1:41] And then we have the other research and extension,
- [1:44] the outreach, other programs that are typically found
- [1:47] with an academic program at a land grant university.
- [1:51] This is an excellent opportunity for us,
- [1:53] and it's excellent facilities.
- [1:55] And we work with the different faculties
- [1:57] here in the department, and across the university as well.
- [2:02] One of our main goals is to help Nebraska
- [2:05] elevate itself economically.
- [2:07] Create more jobs by having food companies locate here,
- [2:11] grow here, expand here.
- [2:14] The campus is new and vibrant,
- [2:16] it is excellent opportunity for us, being here.
- [2:19] (upbeat guitar music)