Transformation 3 - Transformation Events
Date of this Version
Plant and Soil Sciences eLibrary (PASSeL) Lesson
Overview and Objectives - Events
This lesson defines an “event.” It explains the determining factors specific to an event, the qualities of a desirable event, and the identification and selection of desirable events.
At the completion of this lesson, you should be able to:
- Define what an “event” is and list the 3 factors that determine an individual event.
- Explain why some events are rejected.
- Explain what gene silencing is and what happens to gene expression after it has occurred.
- Describe how gene insertion could cause yield drag in transgenic plants.
- Discuss a “non-scientific” reason why some crops are farther along in the progress with the process of genetic engineering.