Biodegradable Mulch, Analyzing Research Articles and Statistical Data
Date of this Version
Plant and Soil Sciences eLibrary (PASSeL) Lesson
Learn to read and interpret scientific peer-reviewed articles and how they are structured. Next dive into some biodegradable mulch data where you will visualize and answer questions that will adjust your thinking to think like a scientist. After analyzing data we will next go into the realm of statistical data and learn how to calculate standard deviation and standard error.
- Understand how academic articles are structured
- Demonstrate the ability to find information in an academic article efficiently
- Analyze and describe the steps involved in Dr. Wortman's biodegradable mulch experiment.
- Compare standard deviation and standard error
- Evaluate why standard deviation was important for the mulch decomposition data
- Calculate the average, standard deviation and standard error in Excel
- Create a bar graph in Excel with error bars included of the mulch decomposition data
- Apply the results of the experiment to determine which biodegradable alternative performed best in trials.