Date of this Version
Conference presentation at the annual meeting of the Geological Society of America:
Houston, TX, 2008.
Geoscience Education: Stuck in Low Gear or Poised for a Breakthrough?
We must act quickly & broaden approaches to four problems
• Falling geoscience undergraduate enrollments
• Lagging diversity in the geosciences
• Insufficient secondary Earth & space science teacher supply
• Low (7%) high school ESS course offerings and enrollment
Leverage existing educational research literature & theory
• Curriculum stability and change
• Culture, gender, and science education
• Socio-cultural models of science and theories of learning
Develop a new research agenda to spark the Revolution