Date of this Version
The Meat Laboratory was completed in 1953 and dedicated to the memory of Professor William J. Loeffel, longtime meat researcher and former department chairman of the Animal Science Department, University of Nebraska.
The Loeffel Meat Laboratory, a Federally Inspected facility, was designed for both undergraduate and graduate teaching, research and extension meat programs. Originally it was a three-story brick building in the northeast part of the Agricultural Campus. The building was L-shaped, 112 feet by 38 feet wide with a wing at the rear 60 feet long and 45 feet wide. It was designed as a low-maintenance building, meeting all modern sanitary requirements.