Date of this Version
24th Range Beef Cow Symposium, Nov. 17-19, 2015, Loveland, Colo.
MAYBE YOU SHOULD ONLY SELECT FOR COW HERD FEED EFFICIENCY?
- RFI – residual feed intake: do they eat more or less than other cattle weighing and gaining the same. Use to reduce maintenance energy.
- RADG – residual average daily gain: do they gain more or less than other cattle eating the same amount. Use to find the cattle that gain more.
- Feed to Gain – conversion in the feedlot: how many pounds of dry matter / pound of gain. Use to find the ones with the lowest cost of gain in the feedlot.
- Feed Intake – how much do they eat per day. Use to find the ones that cost less per day.
- Are any of these traits what you want?
- No, don’t single trait select for efficiency, or any other single trait.
- I want PROFIT – specifically: PROFIT per ACRE.