Date of this Version
U.S. Geological Survey Circular 1422, 255 p.
The Patuxent Wildlife Research Center (Patuxent) housed two important programs that were not supervised through the office of the Director of Patuxent during the 1960s and 1970s. Although they received administrative support from Patuxent, they were supervised from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) headquarters in Washington, D.C. One, the Migratory Bird Populations Station (MBPS), was established in 1961; the other, the Migratory Bird and Habitat Research Laboratory (MBHRL), was established in 1972 (Perry, 2004). This chapter briefly discusses MBPS and how some of its functions were transferred to MBHRL when this new laboratory was created.