Agricultural Economics Department


Date of this Version


Document Type



Cornhusker Economics (February 28, 2024)

Agricultural Economics, University of Nebraska-Lincoln


In February 2024, the United States Department of Agriculture National Agricultural Statistics Service published data from the 2022 Census of Agriculture. This data is collected every five years. The current article highlights a few of the Nebraska numbers. Two significant highlights from the data are the total number of farms and the total value of production. U.S. farm numbers declined modestly in the U.S. from 2.04 million in 2017 to 1.90 million in 2022. The total value of production for U.S. farms and ranches increased substantially from $388.5 billion in 2017 to $543.1 billion in 2022. Crop production accounted for about 52% of the total value of production, while livestock accounted for the remaining 48% of production.